Thursday, July 1, 2010

been busy

Well, of course, as everyone says that maintains a blog; "sorry for a lack up updates, I've been riding" or whatever.  So, thats my exuse ; ).  I've been logging big miles, along with big recovery.  So, the el bloggo has been on the bottom of my 'to-do' list these days (sorry : ((

Last weekend alone, I logged 9 hours of ride time.  Justin and I are "gearing" up for a 12 hour duo race on Saturday.  I am ready and biting the bit, ready to dig deep and just do it!!!  I feel confident because Justin who is not only my husband, but my coach, not to mention the coach of several other athletes, has made me an amazing training plan that I have seen solid results, and if you do the work, the work will reward you.  The heat has been turned up to 11 here in Deutschland.  Im not complaining.  I love it!  I basically have spent everyday at the pool, so I've been trying to stave off the farmers tan, but I can assure you there is still a tan line from my bike shorts, so might not get it even just yet.

pics from my weekend riding

cool farmhouse

religious symbolism all over bavaria, love it!

heading into a cute little village, cobblestone roads are awesome!

Saturday is supposed to be 91 degrees.  That is hot for a country that doesnt believe in air conditioning.  It should be interesting too because we are doing this duo without help, meaning that we have no babysitters for our children or for ourselves.  We have the idea that while I ride my six, Justin will be on dad duty and vice versa.  Should be fine, as my body has adapted to being in the saddle for long periods, I dont think I will be too dead to look after my children, although the heat might be a factor.  On top of the 'fun factor', Justin caught a nasty cold, its in his chest and it doesnt want to go away, so might make things even more interesting.  I did not go into any race wanting to get 2nd place.  I hope we have the chance to be competitive, but we shall see, we shall see.  Our kids are pretty awesome though, they are global travelers, and adapt pretty well to stress and change, so I have faith they can chillax for 12hrs while their parents race (this is wishful, hopeful, crossing my fingers thinking/affirmation).
singletrack!!
Last weekend I had the great opportunity of riding to a castle, that is not far from where I live.  Saturday I just went out to explore the bavarian mountain/countryside headed towards the Czech border region.  Awesome riding out there, even found singletrack.  It was nice n'toasty, and saw the remains of a castle many km away, since I was already hours into a 4 hour ride, I thought it best to turn back home, but wanted to see more.
You can kinda see the castle ruins on the top of the hill:

So Sunday, made it my goal to get to the castle and beyond.  The last 3or 4 km of the ride to the top was full on steep singletrack.  It was tough, I even thought to stop and walk, which I NEVER do, but it was humid and hot, and thank God there was a fountain in the little village at the top I was able to cool off on.
 
Was able to do it and was out there for 5 hours, but it was awesome.  I felt remarkably well, except that I forgot my cell phone, so Justin got worried and started looking for me three hours into the ride.  He never found me, and came home when I called him from the house asking where they all were ( I thought they all decided to ditch me for the pool).
Castle Pics:
I hope everyone has an awesome 4th of July!  I know I will be recovering from the 12 hour race, but I will be celebrating the 4th with fireworks and fun on the U.S. Army base along with our servicemen and women that make the USA great.  I hope I find myself a hotdog or a funnel cake or something that reminds me of home.  I miss home, but I also love Germany and it is my second home now.  Thanks to our troops!!  Thankyou for your service!!

Angie

1 comment:

Krista said...

Good luck on the long ride! Im not looking forward to the 90 degree's either. Im suffering already in the 80's lol. But im sure it wont last long enough to even consider buying an AC unit. Beatiful Pics! You'll enjoy the Eifel region when you move here.I hear there's just as much Mt.biking.