Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Predictions: Best comeback of '09



My tentative race schedule for 2009 is at the bottom of this post. I copied most of this from Justin's blog. I may not get to do every race because we have little ones. If it doesnt work out, I will give Justin first priority.

He broke his leg a little over a year ago. It was about a six month long nightmare. It was hard on me, but Im used to taking care of little kids and it kinda felt the same. Im sure it was a gazilion times worse for him.

He was skateboarding at the local bowl and who knows what happend. I got a call from him speaking in some gibberish, when I got there he was in shock.

The knee and leg were so swollen I couldnt lift the pant leg to see what kind of shape the leg was in, it also looked like the kneecap was rotated and twisted to the back of his leg, which i guess it was. It was gnarly, even the ER docs were kinda freaked out and we lived in a ski resort town, so that tells you how ugly it was.

He had managed to drag himself out of the bowl with his arms and call me, dude have you ever heard of 911??? That's so Justin....anyway, he broke the femur and the tibia and shattered the whole kneecap. It took close to a month to have the surgery due to the immense swelling. He wasnt lookin' so good, so he is hanging out for a month with this awful injury, only a brace over it to keep it stable. He wouldnt take his oxycontin because he feared addiction. Man, I woulda been eatin' that like candy, but anyway...he finally had his surgery, four days later he was discharged with 9 pins, and titanium in there. I am also thankful for the donor. Somebody lost their child and they gave us a gift. I am forever grateful. A child donors cartilage cells were implanted in there. Juvenile cartilage regenerates and this is a new technology. Justin pretty much wiped out any cartilage he had. We lived in Colorado and the doctors there were used to seeing these injuries with all the athletes that live there. Anyway, I am so proud of him, he started snowboarding way to early, he started riding ALOT, but he was strong and he continues to amaze me. He knew it would take a good year to get his fitness back, but I am so excited to see how does and especially to get the opportunity to do it in Germany is sweet. So that is why he gets top priority, he would never ask for it, he would always encourage me first, but I also know how much he loves it.






He would never tell you what i just wrote, but im tellin' your story man, so what?!

Okay enough of this, here's the sched:

May 17 - Painten

May 21/24 - SOG Karwendel Days (marathon, 12 hour, etc.); Karwendel, Deutschland

May 30 - Wustenselbitz

June 6 - Garmischer Marathon; Garmisch, Deutschland

June 14 - Weiden

June 28 - Hirschau Marathon

July 18 - Salzkammergut Trophy Marathon, Bad Goisern, Austria

July 21-Aug. 2 - Schlaflos im Sattel; Weidenthal, Deutschland

Sept 20 - Pegnitz

Sept 27 - Wunsiedel

I will be blogging a lot this summer about the racing and the fact we're doing it in Germany. Should be good times! *Angie*



No comments: