Monday, May 17, 2010

brrr racing

Saturday Justin and I loaded up the kiddo's and headed to the US forces race in Graf.  The weather hasnt been that awesome lately, so I was pretty much expecting muddy conditions and coldness.  I was not let down when I pre-rode the course.  It was wet, muddy and cooold! 

The Graf outdoor rec staff put on a great race.  Besides pre-riding the course backwards, everything was well marked and the course was pretty fun.  It had pretty much everything you wanted, a few steep descents, some singletrack here and there and some grassy road thrown in.  I was not expecting that much, but I was pleasantly surprised!  Unfortunately there wasn't a huge turnout, maybe the weather scared people away, so that kinda sucked.  Anyway, I ended up getting second place, but I am definitely not upset about it.  I went into the race knowing that my fitness was not going to be ultra competitive.  I wanted this race to be a marker, so that I could see where Im at and what I need to work on.  I had a few minor setbacks with our extended trip to Spain and the extra ass weight, so I pretty much knew what I was headed for.  I had a lot of fun racing this course, it didnt matter to me what kind of results, I just wanted to race, its what I've been doing every summer for the past 12 years!!  I want my fitness to peak mid summer, because that is when a lot of our racing is going on.  I am very confident that in the next few months, super huge gains will be made.  Justin's training plan is awesome and I dont see much but torture in the coming weeks.  I am super excited for the future.  (geez, i say 'super' alot)  Anyway, Justin and I are signed up for some 12 hour duo races, marathons and some possible solo 24 ventures.  With him as a team mate, I am very confident we can do some damage! ; )
At the finish trying to find my lungs:
Speaking of JK, Justin had a great race.  He killed the competition.  He is really an amazing athlete and has come back from some serious injury.  So, he won the overall and he's so humble and really just wants to see others enjoying themselves as well.  Im really proud of him, and I am glad he is coaching me, because I want some of that mojo!!
Like always, he makes it look so easy:
This is my little guy, someday this kid is gonna be wearing gold!
Not sure if I am racing this weekend, possible one on Sunday, but Justin and I are headed to Garmisch, a fun town in the Bavarian Alps over memorial day weekend for a two day mountain stage race.  Since we have kids, he will do one day, and I will do the other.  So lots of racing going on, just getting started...more to come...hope life is treating everyone well!  angie
p.s. Height has NOTHING to do with being a fast mountain biker.  Just ask Willow Koerber, or Irina Kalentieva, Geesh!!

Oh and the Fox fork rides like a dream.  I loooooove it!!

3 comments:

Krista said...

Congrats! 2nd Place! At least you have competition. Im always the only one in my category.

Weather has been crap but supposidely the warmth is coming back this week.

Anonymous said...

Does being short help in loosening the front skewer?

Angie Koppa said...

I think it was a lack of O2 that caused me to loosen that skewere..hahahha