Thursday, April 8, 2010

when im almost dead, nurse me on cytomax...


This post is a review on cytomax by your lovely angie k.

I happen to come upon a stash of cytomax. The way I did this involves the military...shhhhh...cant divulge too much info, but les just say I got hooookked UUP!!

Seriously though, I went on post to the 'sports store' and there was a clearance on power gels and cytomax. I hardly see a sale of this sort that doesnt spark my interest, but I kinda thought, hmmm? they must be expired or something.

nope, pretty much I got this stuff for free, plus I bought the powergels. Anyway, the cytomax, i think we bought 5 canisters has pretty much lasted me through a winter and most of spring. I never got tired of drinking it.

So, what we got was cytomax, tangy orange with herbal lift. First off the taste is great. It reminds me kindof of Tang, that orange ghetto drink from my childhood. I really like that taste for some reason. One thing that I kinda dont like about it is that it gives you that sticky glue tongue when you are in the heat of your workout and you are needing those xtra electrolytes and your mouth gets all syrupy and stuff, but its not as pronounced as that, just a bit. I used this a lot in the winter because I was cutting calories, but doing some good workouts, plus swimming and my energy level would wane a bit, but this stuff gave me the energy I needed, plus I also felt like I was putting back in what I was losing, which I think is important. I never felt like hitting the wall when I drink this stuff. So I definately think this stuff is great. It can be on the pricy end, but I will consider paying the full price for it in the summer months when the heat picks up. It claims sustained energy, and a bunch of other stuff. Yes on the energy, as far as the other stuff, who knows--did it lower my lactate acid level by 40% during and after training? did it stabilize my power output by 10% for more strength?? who knows, It would be hard to say unless I was living in a lab, but I think it definitely didn't hinder any of my performance!

My grade: B+ (for great taste and energy) (the - is for the sticky glue tongue)

2 comments:

Krista said...

I havent taken any protein stuff before. Just Powerbars and gels and some gatorade. Im hesistant to take that stuff. Is this stuff a protein drink? Or is like a powerbar only in drink form?

Angie Koppa said...

hey! cytomax isnt a protein drink, just mainly electrolytes, i like to take gels when racing, but sometimes eating is harsh on the stomach, so liquid replenishment helps me out a lot better. I do take whey protein, you can buy it in a powder. i take it after strenuous workouts and weight training. I try to maximize the protein intake within the 30 minute "window" after working out and mix some carbs in there too. I always feel so much better after doing this and then have another meal an hour or so after that...anyway, i really like the cytomax, and feel sustained with it on long rides or intense workouts!