Wednesday, July 15, 2009

clearer thinking

Now that a few days have passed since the marathon (funatic bike marathon to be exact), I am thinking a little clearer (kinda). I was in a bike induced lactic acid daze, the body needs a good day of recovery after such an effort, especially when the body is not used to such efforts.

That was a super cool race, even though it was filled with some minor obstacles (of my own doing), one fun part of that race, was that right before the feed station, there was this obstacle course north-shorey (not as hardcore as the pic, but still tough) type deal you had to maneuver through to get to the feed. It was a climb up to the point so extra effort would be needed to meander up the wooden planks and down around the berms.
Last year when I lived in Winter Park, colorado, I did a clinic on a pump/dirt track such as this, so I am glad, those skillz came in handy.
Im not used to the marathon distances. I feel like I have the shorter xc races (under 30 miles) down pretty good. These longer distances take some sort of planning. Nutrition, tactics, pacing, all that is a new ballgame for me and I really like it! Im glad I have Justin to guide me on all this, he's been doing these longer races for a while now and seems to know what he's talking about.

I've been lifting weights too. I am doing three weight training sessions a week, and while racing, not doing too much in the legs arena. I see the faint beginning of the outline of a Glock 17 on my biceps and shoulders, im excited!!

The days here in Germany have been mixed with sunshine and rain. Summer, will it ever come? Today it rains, but Monday was amazing, so was yesterday. Those are the days we spend at the pool by our house, laying in the lazy sun, having a picnic dinner and enjoying a dip in the refreshing waters.
Thanks to Justin for fixing my bike! New chain, so no more breakages I hope, and stans'd up tires all good to go!

hope the sun comes out today...

No comments: